Cricket the game for which almost every individual of the world is mad. This game was first played in 16th Century in South East England. It became England’s National sport in 18thcentury and developed globally in 19th and 20thCenturies.
Cricket is a bat and ball game played between 2 teams consisting of 11 players each. This game is played in an oval field in a 22-yard pitch which is present at the center of the ground. There are two target points at both the end of the pitch named as wickets (three wooden sticks with two bails at its top).
There are mainly three formats of cricket. They are -:
· TEST CRICKET
· ONE DAY CRICKET
· TWENTY20 CRICKET
The test cricket is a 5 day game with a play of 90 overs each day. In this format of cricket, the players wear the white jersey of their respective teams. Each day of the game consist of three sessions of two hours and the breaks between the sessions is forty minutes for Lunch and 20 minutes for Tea.
One day cricket is a single-day game of 50 overs which has only one break after completion of the first innings (It is one of the divisions of a match during which one team takes its turn to bat). In this format, the players are free to wear the jersey of their respective teams. One day during the first 10 overs, only two fielders are allowed outside the 30-yard circle. Between 11-40 overs only four fielders and between 40-50 overs only five fielders are allowed outside the 30-yard.
Twenty20 Cricket is the same as One day but here the game is of 20 overs. In TWENTY20 the first powerplay is for first 6 overs when maximum of two players can be outside the 30-yard circle and after the first six overs maximum of five fielders can be outside the 30-yard.
In this game, there are mainly 3 umpires present (main umpire, leg umpire, third umpire). Each team has a captain who represents the whole team. To start the game captains of both the team have to come forward for the TOSS (of a coin). The team which wins the TOSS gets an opportunity to select either they want to bat or bowl.
Two players of the batting team and eleven players of the bowling team enter into the field. The players of the batting team are equipped with pads, gloves, and helmet. One end of the pitch is assigned to one of the batsmen called as a striker and the other end to the bowler as well the other batsman (runner). There is a wicket-keeper (a fielder equipped with gloves and pads) present behind the stumps at the striker side. After the completion of the innings the batting and bowling team swaps their role.
The role of the batting team is to score as much as runs as they can and the bowling team needs to restrict them from scoring thousand and take wickets. The winning team is the one that scores the most runs, including some extras, gained (except when the result is not a win/loss result).
RULES OF CRICKET
· If the batsman hits the ball directly outside the boundary, then it will be a SIX.
· If the ball goes to the boundary with a bounce or more then it will be FOUR.
· If the ball hits the pad of the batsman and the player doesn’t offer any shot then he could be considered for LBW(leg before wicket ) a type of dismissal in cricket.
· If the bowler steps out of the crease during the bowling then it will be considered as a NO BALL.
· If the batsman hits the wicket by his bat while playing a shot then the batsman is out.
· If a batsman handles the bowl intentionally to save his wicket then he is given out.
· A batsman is given out if he tries to obstruct the field.
· The batsman is also given out if he tries to hit bowl more than one time however if the batsman tries to save its wicket and for that purpose, he uses the bat more than one time then he is not given out.
· After a batsman is out, the next batsman has to come within three minutes otherwise he will be timed out.
· The batsman and bowler have an option to review the decision of umpire by the DRS Method.
· If the ball strikes the helmet of wicket-keeper then the batting team will be rewarded with 5 runs.
· One of the main rules of this game is that for batsmen to score runs they must run to each other’s end of the pitch (from one end to the other).
ALSO READ: 6 LESSONS TO LEARN FROM RAHUL DRAVID